Sunday, July 12, 2009

Home Sweet Home

So, when we bought this house in December of 2004 we had a home inspection like all prospective homebuyers do and were informed that 1 of the roofs would need to be replaced sooner rather than later. Sooner came in March of 2006 when Mark saw a hole in the attic with sunlight poking through. Not cool! So...we(and when I say we I really mean Mark) called a few places, got an estimate, and got a new roof. What does this have to do with the price of tea in China, you ask? Well here's your answer: We have 2 roofs. There was an addition put on this house(I don't know when but the guy across the street knows 'cause he's been here forever) and it has a flat rubber roof. We(and again I mean Mark) have to shovel off the roof every time that there's a storm so it doesn't cave in. Living in Maine, this happens at least weekly. The roofing co. looked at the flat roof and said "Hey, it's in good shape." So we opted to have nothing done to it. Flash forward to January of 2009. We had been getting wonky winter weather...mostly ice and rain and sleet with some snow mixed in for fun. We had an ice storm where it snowed, then rained, then flash froze. You just can't shovel that off. Well guess what happened? Ice damage! Our roof then leaked and ruined the kitchen ceiling, the ceiling in the laundry room, the floors in those rooms and the ceiling in Garrett's room. Garrett said that it looked like the cat threw up upside down. He's a funny kid. But I digress. So we (Mark) called our insurance and thankfully it's covered. The contractor that we hired came over to take a piece of our flooring to test it so they could determine its value so we could get an allowance for new flooring. Turned out, the vinyl flooring that came over on the Mayflower had asbestos backing! So an abatement company came in to take it out. During that time we had to be out of the house for a few days(hey, mini vacation in my own hometown! We stayed at the Lewiston Ramada) All of our appliances(washer, dryer, fridge, freezer) are now in my computer room awaiting their placement on our new flooring. Our kitchen now looks like it's in a camp. I prefer to call it rustic. It feels like we just moved in because we can't find anything. I've definitely learned my lesson in hoarding. I now have to go to the(gasp) laundromat!! I haven't been to the laundromat in like 6 years! I had to buy a laundry card because I guess that's all the rage at laundromats now. What in the hell am I going to with the card once I'm done with it? Are they going to refund me the money that's on it? Hell no! Maybe I'll leave it there and someone can find it. I'll have to do the same thing with the laundry soap since my washer is HE and I also had to buy regular laundry detergent. One thing that is cool though...my new dishwasher will be installed soon! I'm practically crying tears of joy as I type this. Well enough for now. Catch ya later!

No comments:

Post a Comment