Sunday, January 10, 2010

'Tis The Season...

...to make those doctor's appointments!
I have a few to make in the next week or so...seems like time has gotten away from me what with the new kid and all (shocker!!!) soooo......here's what I have to do in no particular order.

  1. Regular appointment with my PCP since I haven't had a checkup since my 6-week postnatal appointment.  Mainly so I can stay on my med and she can tell me I'm healthy in every way but I'm overweight.  Because for some darn reason I always seem to be forgetting that bit of information.
  2. Eye appointment...because I'm blind as a frickin' bat and I have vision insurance and can get 1 pair of specs and an appointment each year for really cheap.  Maybe this will be the year for contacts.
  3. Dental appointment...because I missed that last appointment at 7 am and didn't reschedule.  What was I thinking when I made an appointment at that time of day???
  4. Mammogram...because now I have a family history.  This is really the first time I have put this out there and I have been resisting out of respect to my sister who hasn't told her friends about it and I have 2 of her friends as facebook friends but I need to get it out so here it is...my mom was diagnosed last July with breast cancer.  Every once in a while she decides to get healthy and do appointments and such so she had a mammogram.  They found something wonky on it so they sent her to get another one at a different location.  Apparently what they saw turned out to be nothing.  However, the second mammogram picked up something in the other twin in the other twin that they missed the first time around which turned out to be cancerous.  Thankfully it was found very early and was considered stage 1.  She had a lumpectomy in July, went through radiation(which kicked her ass hard) and now she's taking oral chemo which makes her sick.  But she's cancer free!  Woo hoo!  So anyway, I promised her that I'd get one this year and I'm keeping that promise.
Contrary to popular belief, people with breast cancer aren't all that interested in being reminded about it.  A few weeks after my mom's lumpectomy I read an article in a magazine about a woman going through treatment and she was basically tired of seeing the pink ribbons everywhere she turns.  I asked my mom if she feels like that and she said "Oh yeah!"  Apparently those with the disease really don't like to be reminded of it.  Now when I see all these pink products and pink ribbons and all this other stuff like putting your bra color on facebook for breast cancer awareness, I think to myself "You know, I'm really all TOO aware, thank you very much!"  I don't mean to lessen the importance of awareness or anything.  My MIL also had it and conquered it but ended up dying from the bone cancer that came up about 6 months after.  Anyway, all's I'm saying is that if you want to get something pink ribbon-y or a book for someone with this disease, reconsider. Or at least don't get a sad serious book about breast cancer.  Get Erma Bombeck or Gilda Radner.  If anything, laughter is what she needs!  And less pink.

2 comments:

  1. Wow Kel. Had no idea about your mom, but yay to her for beating it! Ive also considered getting a mamo at our early age, since my maternal grandmother died of breast cancer in her early 50's. Ive asked my doc's and they dont seem to think it's necessary. Maybe I shouldnt listen to them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, if you have a family history and you have semi-decent insurance I would get one anyway, at the very least to get a baseline. It's far better to get it done and find nothing than to not get it done only to discover something later down the road. Mom's doc said she never would have found it on her own. Mark's mom found hers on her own but by then it was Stage 3 and the treatment was very unpleasant for her. So I'll make my appointment if you make yours! :)

    ReplyDelete